Saturday 21 September 2013

The Target Pub and the Reading music scene during 

the 70's & 80's.


There I was, minding my own business when a request to join a facebook page leaped out at me.  
People of the Target Pub It rang a bell, a loud bell. Actually, a bloody loud bell.  The Target pub was a cellar bar in the middle of Reading and from memory it's below The Hexagon in the Butts Centre. now closed down or perhaps even demolished?   I remember driving through the underground labyrinth of loading bays and car parking areas with my then wife who was giving me verbals about nothing in particular when all I could think about was playing at this renowned and fearsome venue. (Not a good start to a gig).    

I think it was a Reading Festival weekend in August. It was hot steamy and being a cellar bar, airless and dismal.   On this particular day, the pub offered us a choice of take a cut of the bar or charge entry. We chose the latter. The ladies took control of the door and charged entry at what seemed a fair price.  We (Lorelei # 2) were being supported by the Waltons who from memory were a little different from us but were lively and enthusiastic.   During the Waltons set, when the pub was already close to capacity, one of the ladies tapped me on the shoulder to say a whole bunch of Hell's Angels wanted to come in but didn't want to pay. Putting my nicest smile on I faced the leather and colour brigade who eventually coughed up with a warning that if Lorelei weren't better than "that shit" they would leave the bar in ashes and dust.  Do I return to the band and tell them what I know?  Hell, Yes!! why should I suffer alone?.

The Waltons finished their set and left the stage to decent applause then, while the road crew set up our gear the "Angels" pushed their way to the front. Presumably to be first to get to the drum kit and anything else they could destroy should they so choose.  In those days we had a wooden cut out light with the Lorelei logo letters at the front of the stage.  The light had several overpowered bulbs in it that gave out terrific heat and light and I recall one of the angels flicking cigarette ash into the cut outs. Me nervous? Bloody right!!!

Thanks to Phil Nixon Bass player of Lorelei # 1

The ladies left the door unattended to make a clear path to the cars below and we began to play. After the first few notes the floor began to move.   Fortunately for us it was in a rhythmical and positive manner. Some of the Leather jacketed bikers even joined in with the stage banter. Following our second encore, we received hand shakes offers for drinks (The bar was shuttered up) and thumps on the back that would have downed a mere mortal. we even had  help loading the gear.  

Just goes to show, if you're scared enough, you can achieve anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment